The Pensions Regulator (TPR) is keen to make sure all businesses
and individuals are prepared, as starting this month, there will be an increase
to the minimum contributions that employers and their staff pay into their workplace
April 6th 2019 saw is an increase from 2% to 3% for the minimum employer contribution, and the staff contribution has increased from 3% to 5%. The process called phasing, brings the total contribution increase to 8%, up from 5% which the pension schemes started with.
Should employers have staff in an automatic enrolment pension
scheme, they are required by TPR to be certain that they are at least paying
the minimum amounts into their pension schemes. This is also a requirement of
existing pension schemes, not just for those that are auto enrolled. This
increase is not applicable to any employers who have a defined benefit pension
scheme which are governed under separate rules.
The minimum contributions by the employer is now 3%, with the employee contribution defaulting to the balancing 5% as required by the rules. However, the employer can elect to pay more or even the full 8% total contributions required. This will be decision of each employer and will be defined in their pension documentation when the workplace pension has been established.
The contributions into the pension scheme is calculated for a specific range of earnings for each employee. For the 2019/20 tax year this range is between £6,136 and £50,000 a year (£512 and £4,167 a month, or £118 and £962 a week). These ranges are reviewed by the Government on an annual basis.
All calculations for the pension contributions must include
salary, wages, commission, bonuses, overtime, statutory sick pay, statutory
maternity pay, ordinary or additional statutory paternity pay, and statutory
Increases in HMRC Tax Investigations
There has been a rise in legal cases between HMRC and taxpayers, due to HMRC collecting further data from banks and foreign tax authorities in order to send cases to tribunals. This has led to a rise of 43% over 2 years in First Tier Tax (FTT) tribunal cases. There […]
HMRC Seeks to be Preferential Creditor in Insolvencies
Recently announced by the government, there will be a public consultation on plans to make HMRC a secondary preferential creditor for certain tax debts paid by employees and customers on the insolvency of a business. HMRC was once a preferential creditor for certain taxes before 2003, however once the Enterprise […]
Research and Development (R&D) tax relief claims are far higher in recent years than ever before, with an astounding £21.4bn in tax relief claimed overall as confirmed in a report released by HMRC on 27 September 2018. Between 2000-2017, there have been over 240,000 claims made across the UK, with […]
What is Offshore Income Income is considered ‘offshore income’ if it comes from a territory outside the United Kingdom. It includes: – interest from overseas bank or building society accounts – dividends and interest from overseas companies – rent from overseas properties – wages, benefits, or royalties earned outside […]
Created in 1994, The Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) is a group of tax reliefs that succeeded the Business Expansion Scheme. It was created as an incentive to have investments in small unquoted companies carrying on a qualifying trade in the UK. The scheme is extremely popular, with £14.2 billion invested […]
Overview The Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) is designed to aid small, early-stage companies to raise equity finance by offering tax reliefs to investors that purchase new share in the companies. It works with the existing Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) that offers tax reliefs to investors in higher-risk small companies. […]